July is Smart Irrigation Month!
July is one of the hottest months of the year and water use is on the rise. It makes sense that it is also Smart Irrigation Month, an Irrigation Association initiative to increase awareness of the value of water use and enhance demand for water-saving products, practices and services. This time of year is opportune to make adjustments and changes in your irrigation system. Using water more efficiently conserves water and reduces your water bill.
With the hottest months ahead, you can improve your irrigation efficiency with these tips:
- Slow the flow - If water is applied to quickly, it can run off into the street or sidewalk. When watering, give the water a chance to soak into the ground.
- Select & inspect sprinklers properly - Select sprinkler heads and nozzles that apply water uniformly to the target area. Inspect your sprinkler heads regularly to make sure they are not obstructed or watering onto the pavement.
- Use drip irrigation - Drip or "low pressure, low volume" irrigation applies water directly to the base or roots of plants. These systems are ideal for watering individual plants and smaller landscape areas slowly and precisely.
- Don't think twice about smart upgrades - Take the guesswork out of irrigation by upgrading to a smart controller. Weather - and soil moisture - based controllers automatically adjust the watering schedule based on conditions at your location.
- Work with a certified professional - Protect your investment by working with a certified irrigation contractor. Certified professionals have demonstrated competence for the job to make sure it's done right.
- Save on your next upgrade - Many water utilities offer rebates for certain water-efficient products. Before upgrading to your new system, consult with your local water provider to see if they offer rebates in your area.